Sunday, November 4, 2012

What can I say?

Well first of all to update you on things here in DC. Superstorm Sandy skirted DC and we survived with very little damage and we didn't even loose power. We had followed all the preparations, I had emptied the sunroom (I am convinced that the large tree in the backyard - technically in the neighbors - will come down on the sunroom roof or through our large picture windows one day) we removed all vases etc from the garden, we charged all our electrical equipment, we took out cash from the ATM, the girls and I slept in the basement and we waited it out. Gregorio and I got an amazing amount of work done, the girls enjoyed an enormous amount of TV, we introduced the girls to monopoly and we did not get dressed for several days it seems! Thankfully it blew over and after an extra two days at home it was back to school and work and our regular routine. We were fortunate, the images from New York and New Jersey are pretty shocking. Mother Nature is a powerful force.

The storm, as many of you realised, did interfere with a number of things, including spending the whole of day 14 of the trial at the hospital for another rounds of blood draws. With everything closed they asked us to go two days later. So Gregorio took Isabella last Thursday. A long day again, but all went smoothly. Isabella has been doing incredibly well, there have been some minor side effects but thankfully she seems to be tolerating the medication well. So we will continue for two more weekly visits and then we will visit only once a month. At the beginning of December we have an MRI lined up and hope to hear some good news that the medication is having some positive effect on the tumor.

A number of you have written or spoken to us recently regarding Isabella's tumor and new treatment and for fear of sounding repetitive I would like to say again  - thank you grazie, merci etc for your continued support. I have been thinking about this for a while. It is hard to know what to say in these situations, I know, honestly. Whether you are standing over the yogurts in the supermarket trying to decide which one the kids want this week and then you see me and hesitate to say hello, or you have spotted me in the shoe department and you run up and give me a hug, or there is an extra squeeze when you greet us with a kiss and hug, or a message that says "just wanted to say hello" we know you have heard the news and we are very appreciative you have made the effort to ask and see how we are doing. Words really don't matter in these situations. Thank you for showing your support. It does help. That original tidal wave of cyber (and real) support continues to sustain us.

Meanwhile we continue to try and keep life normal and not be taken aback by each development or new side effect. Gregorio is a true master at sounding calm when he needs to, but sometimes I know that my face speaks volumes and the girls pick up on that. I keep looking at my birthday card on my desk "Keep Calm and Carry On"

Winter has definitely arrived  (we are sitting by the fire as I write this) and we are now gearing up to the festive season. We have a big lunch party planned for Thanksgiving. This will be followed by a visit from the British cousins (and their parents) which we are really looking forward to. The Italian grandparents arrive shortly after that for Christmas. And to keep us entertained we have our Snow Angel, Mati dancing in the Washington Ballet's Nutcracker again this holiday season. Contact me if you want to know which dates you can catch her on stage - there are ten opportunities and while I might sound like a biaised mother, it is a beautiful show. Isabella will also be singing with The Children's Chorus of Washington in several Holiday concerts around town. Oh and I nearly forgot there is the school panto before all that. The girls are dancing around the house sining all the tunes, a few key lines have already stuck in my head.

Think that's all for now, we'll update you when we have some news.

Lots of love,
Emma & Gregorio xxx


No comments: